Eric Liu and Nick Hanauer discuss their book, The True Patriot, and the progressive movement surrounding it.
Welcome to The True Patriot Network
At The True Patriot Network, our contention is that when you unpack true American patriotism — the idea of country before self — what you discover is a moral framework that goes back to this nation's founding, and that is inherently progressive. Living by such principles as service, stewardship, tolerance, and equality of opportunity, true patriots show that devotion to this nation means working to help America reach its exceptional potential and promise.
Whatever your party, faction, or faith, we hope you will agree that we owe our country and the next generation a more purposeful politics. We invite you to read our book, The True Patriot, and continue the discussion.
In an effort to inspire thought and conversation across America, The True Patriot Network has run a series of ads in politically focused periodicals that lean both left and right. To see an ad, click a thumbnail above.
One of our projects is to develop compelling ways to speak to the American public about the income inequality crisis in our country. We are working with activists, academics, average citizens and invite you to join us.
- America's Middle Class is Being Destroyed.
Here's Why and What You Can Do.
- Americans Used to Laugh at Banana Republics. Now We Are One. What the Hell Happened?
- The wealthy have rigged the game in Washington, so that we pay the rich to get richer. It's time to stop this madness.
- They shouldn't get away with this
- When the middle class is sick, businesses die
- Why are so many Americans struggling while Wall Street bankers and CEOs make record incomes?
- America will never solve its deficit problem if our wealthiest citizens don't pay any taxes.
- Wasn't the point of America that we don't have a permanent aristocracy?
Join the conversation on our Facebook page:
What can you do?
Many readers of The True Patriot have asked us, "What next?" They're inspired by the ideas in the book but don't know how to take that inspiration and turn it into action. In response, we've put together a list of ways that you can engage in true patriotism.
Audiobook Is Here!
Now you can listen to authors Nick Hanauer and Eric Liu read The True Patriot. This audio recording is a new way to discover and explore the core American values that define true patriotism. Listen now.
The 2012 Election Results
TPN in the News
Praise for The True Patriot
"In a time when the word “patriotism” has been distorted to mean “an unquestioning support of our government,” Liu and Hanauer have reclaimed patriotism to mean a love for America’s founding principles of freedom, dignity, and equality for all. Theirs is an inspiring vision of true patriotism which is embodied in our Bill of Rights."